Chinuk Lu7lu

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Wed Jun 9 22:35:30 UTC 2004

A belated "thank-you all" to all who came to our last Chinuk Lu7lu, and to
Liland and Emmett for catching that sneaky little "forward" that weasled its way
into the Chinuk Wawa dictionary, where "foreword" rightfully belongs.  I guess
our brains really are getting wired to Chinuk Wawa: "forward" being perfectly
straightforward English for Chinuk Wawa "ilEp-wawa"!  I should perhaps also say
something about our "gaga" for raven, in case others besides Liland have noticed
that it appears to violate the rules laid out in our pronunciation guide:

> under "g" on p. 5, "This sound is restricted to words of English and French
> origin" is overly restrictive, at least unless you are claiming "gaga" is a
> French or English loan.

No, we make no such claim.  We are off the hook because "gaga" is not from any
Grand Ronde elder, but on the hook because it is pure affectation on our part.
We have Chinuk Wawa k'ak'a 'crow'.  In Kiksht Upper Chinook, replacing the
glottalized "k" by its voiced counterpart should suggest augmentation.  Hence,
"gaga" for something like a crow, but larger.  It's our own invention--or
affectation, if you prefer (since we are not Kiksht speakers).  "hayash-k'ak'a"
would be straightforward Chinuk Wawa for the meaning.  Henry