Chinuk Lu7lu

Haruo Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 11 00:01:10 UTC 2004

In Lushootseed (at least the version represented in the Hess-Hilbert
dictionary) nasal consonants, interestingly, are almost entirely restricted
to words defined as "Raven's pronunciation of X" (plus a few loans from
Latin). Otherwise, in loans from Chinuk Wawa, French or English, as well as
indigenous words, N always shows up as D, M as B; e.g. "pastEd" for
"bastEn".

lilEnd

        ROS' Haruo / 2355 Eastlake Ave E / Seattle WA 98102 / Usono
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-324-3176
              ROS' Haruo = Leland Bryant ROSS

>From: hzenk at PDX.EDU
>To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>Subject: Chinuk Lu7lu
>Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:35:30 -0700
>
>A belated "thank-you all" to all who came to our last Chinuk Lu7lu, and to
>Liland and Emmett for catching that sneaky little "forward" that weasled
its way
>into the Chinuk Wawa dictionary, where "foreword" rightfully belongs.  I
guess
>our brains really are getting wired to Chinuk Wawa: "forward" being
perfectly
>straightforward English for Chinuk Wawa "ilEp-wawa"!  I should perhaps
also say
>something about our "gaga" for raven, in case others besides Liland have
noticed
>that it appears to violate the rules laid out in our pronunciation guide:
>

> > under "g" on p. 5, "This sound is restricted to words of English and
French
> > origin" is overly restrictive, at least unless you are claiming "gaga"
is a
> > French or English loan.
> >

>No, we make no such claim.  We are off the hook because "gaga" is not from
any
>Grand Ronde elder, but on the hook because it is pure affectation on our
part.
>We have Chinuk Wawa k'ak'a 'crow'.  In Kiksht Upper Chinook, replacing the
>glottalized "k" by its voiced counterpart should suggest augmentation.
Hence,
>"gaga" for something like a crow, but larger.  It's our own invention--or
>affectation, if you prefer (since we are not Kiksht speakers).
"hayash-k'ak'a"
>would be straightforward Chinuk Wawa for the meaning.  Henry
>
>To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately
to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!