La Push, the band, and Seattle Times article

Haruo Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 10 23:53:45 UTC 2004

Are they Quileute?

lilEnd

PS: I am quite surprised, coming on line after a couple days away, to see
no mention on the Chinook list of the MAJOR article by Nancy Bartley, at

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001950684_chinook08m.html
,

from Tuesday's Seattle Times. It was the cover story in the Local News
section (Section B), with prominent color photos. The article seems to me
to do a good job of presenting Grand Ronde Wawa, and has nice photos of
Tony and Sammy and of Jackie at school; however it is marred by the
frequent substitution of "f" for schwa! The article also seems to treat
ASCII Wawa as the standard orthography, witness the sidebar comment that
"[i]n Chinuk-wawa, capital letters are sometimes found in the middle or at
the end of words. Exact pronunciations are sometimes difficult to duplicate
with the English alphabet." (Based on my experience with journalists'
attempts to describe and spell Esperanto for the English-reading public,
though, I think the Times did at least no worse than usual.)

PPS: I'm Cc'ing this to the author because I haven't been able to come up
with a letter to the Editor that I felt okay about sending. Maybe someone
on the list can do so?

        ROS' Haruo / 2355 Eastlake Ave E / Seattle WA 98102 / Usono
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-324-3176
              ROS' Haruo = Leland Bryant ROSS

>From: David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU>
>To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>Subject: La Push, the band
>Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:25:52 -0400
>
>In Bellingham, WA several days ago, I saw posters for concerts by a band
>named La Push.  They also have at least one CD out.
>
>--Dave
>
>To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately
to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!