About Unicode font for Ch.

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Tue Jun 15 12:40:05 UTC 2004

I can elaborate on the Unicode font for those interested...

Unicode fonts can contain the symbols desired, but Joe web user may
still run into the "weird character" problem (Hey, why is every thing
look like "???? ????"). That's because most unicode fonts contain only
the lowest ranges of character sets. No matter what kind of font is
used, Joe user will have to be advised he needs a font, and then be able
to download and install it. Joe user needs to know that his web browser
can be switched to ISO-8859-1 (basic latin) or UTF-8 (unicode) as
required. Then, if the web page designer hasn't fuddled it up somehow,
everything should look okay.

An inadvertent advantage to Unicode -- when it doesn't work, the user
just sees question marks or wierdness. They can easily tell that
something's wrong. On the downside, they can't made heads or tails out
it.

In Unicode's favor, Microsoft and Apple prefer Unicode now. New Unicode
ranges can be proposed, by the very organized and patient. A very large
number of cool diacritical marks are already provided for, though very
few fonts use them properly, and then only selectively.

It would be great if the font scheme had gov't backing. For a type face
to become a standard, font projects require professional organization,
funding, and official sanction by standards-creating bodies. The reason
for all that beurocracy is to prevent the project from caving in when
funds run out or original creator's interests inevitably wane.

It's all "Ελληνικά" to me...(a little Unicode test for you ... in greek).