the font débacle

Ros' Haruo lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 16 02:06:21 UTC 2004

Hi, Henry, and thanks, Leanne,

I was going to reply along similar lines but Leanne said it better than I
would have.

I should add that unless the various computers (including the typically
rather unintelligent brains installed in printers) involved are in close
communication (and unimpeded communication; firewalls and what have you can
be a problem here), the font (be it Grand Ronde's or Unicode's pertinent
section) has to be installed separately on each machine. I can bring up an
Esperanto document on the screen at work, and print it out on three
different printers, and one will print it correctly, a second will print the
circumflexed letters without their circumflexes, and the third will print a
large bullet after each diacritized letter. If I print the same thing at
church, the printer there just leaves spaces where the Esperanto-specific
letters should be. If I print it at the public library, it comes out
perfect. I presume a similar variety of treatments would occur with the
Chinuk-Wawa font, and obviously at least one variant is to print "f" for
schwa.

BTW, does anybody know the status of the proposed Unicode character set for
Kamloops-wawa-pepa?

lilEnd

        ROS' Haruo / 2355 Eastlake Ave E / Seattle WA 98102 / Usono
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-324-3176
              ROS' Haruo = Leland Bryant ROSS