CHINOOK Digest - 15 Jun 2004 to 16 Jun 2004 (#2004-70)

Yakima Belle yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 17 07:49:46 UTC 2004

Question.....

Is there almost a "pause" between the syllables of
"ya-wa" and "kha-pa"? Is the syllabication divided
correctly here? Is "khapa" the same word as "kopa"? Or
something different?

Also, how would one render "k'oy7" in an older
orthography? (Do to my hearing problem, it is not
really possible for me to listen to the sounds on the
Net at present.)

--- Automatic digest processor
<LISTSERV at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG> wrote:
> There are 2 messages totalling 66 lines in this
> issue.
>
> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. CHINOOK Digest - 10 Jun 2004 to 11 Jun 2004
> (#2004-67) (2)
>
> To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.
> To respond privately to the sender of a message,
> click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!

> Date:    Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:07:38 -0700
> From:    Tony Johnson <Tony.Johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG>
> Subject: Re: CHINOOK Digest - 10 Jun 2004 to 11 Jun
> 2004 (#2004-67)
>
> LaXayEm khanawi-Laksta,
>
> Leanne, for one, your hearing of the recording is
> very typical (I
> should mention that this was recorded very quickly
> and I have only
> listened to it once).  An example is that very often
> people here /L/
> (barred l) as an /s/ sound.  Your hearing of "asgi"
> exemplifies this.
> Words like yawa' and khapa' (that stress on the last
> syllable) are also
> typically confusing if you are accustomed to the
> English orthography
> (old-time) dictionaries of Chinuk.  I don't think
> they typically
> differentiate that point.  khapa' means "over
> there," or maybe "yonder"
> is a good translation.  k'oy7 implies a "wish" or
> "hopefulness."
> Anyway, as Dave points out it is always interesting
> for us that teach
> Chinuk Wawa to "see" how people hear it.  Hayu
> masi--
>
> aLqi wEXt,
>
> Tony A. Johnson
> sawash-ili7i

> 4:32:27 PM >>>
> Thanks Tony. These were the parts which gave me
> trouble:
>
> 1) "bEt na Tu7an." I heard "but not doin'."
> 8) "hayu pos." I heard "hayuk wos" and wondered why
> it wasn't "hayu
> pos."
> 2) "aLqi." I heard something like "OSKgee," both
> times.
> 3) "alta." I heard something like "AL'e."
> 4) "yawa'." Puzzled me for a while, but figured it
> out.
> 5) "khapa." What's that?
> 6) "nixwa tsa." I heard something like "n'KLA n'sa."
> 7) "k'oy7." This word is entirely new to me -- I
> think.
>
> It's interesting to hear how soft the hard sounds
> really are. What's
> written as 't' and 'k', to my ears sounds like 'd'
> and 'g', at least
> when it's in the middle of the word.
>
> To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.
> To respond
> privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.
>  Hayu masi!

> Date:    Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:48:47 -0700
> From:    Leanne Riding <riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM>
> Subject: Re: CHINOOK Digest - 10 Jun 2004 to 11 Jun
> 2004 (#2004-67)

> [...]

=====
I swear I seen a twelve-foot-high hump-shouldered elk
with no antlers and swan neck - 19th C. miner, quoted
in "Lonesome Dromedary", The Big Book of the Weird Wild
West, Paradox Press, 1998.