CHINOOK Digest - 10 Jun 2004 to 11 Jun 2004 (#2004-67)

Tony Johnson Tony.Johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Wed Jun 16 16:07:38 UTC 2004

LaXayEm khanawi-Laksta,

Leanne, for one, your hearing of the recording is very typical (I
should mention that this was recorded very quickly and I have only
listened to it once).  An example is that very often people here /L/
(barred l) as an /s/ sound.  Your hearing of "asgi" exemplifies this.
Words like yawa' and khapa' (that stress on the last syllable) are also
typically confusing if you are accustomed to the English orthography
(old-time) dictionaries of Chinuk.  I don't think they typically
differentiate that point.  khapa' means "over there," or maybe "yonder"
is a good translation.  k'oy7 implies a "wish" or "hopefulness."
Anyway, as Dave points out it is always interesting for us that teach
Chinuk Wawa to "see" how people hear it.  Hayu masi--

aLqi wEXt,

Tony A. Johnson
sawash-ili7i

>>> Leanne Riding <riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM> 06/15/2004 4:32:27 PM >>>
Thanks Tony. These were the parts which gave me trouble:

1) "bEt na Tu7an." I heard "but not doin'."
8) "hayu pos." I heard "hayuk wos" and wondered why it wasn't "hayu
pos."
2) "aLqi." I heard something like "OSKgee," both times.
3) "alta." I heard something like "AL'e."
4) "yawa'." Puzzled me for a while, but figured it out.
5) "khapa." What's that?
6) "nixwa tsa." I heard something like "n'KLA n'sa."
7) "k'oy7." This word is entirely new to me -- I think.

It's interesting to hear how soft the hard sounds really are. What's
written as 't' and 'k', to my ears sounds like 'd' and 'g', at least
when it's in the middle of the word.

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond
privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!