Barman, 'Maria Mahoi of the Islands'

David Lewis coyotez at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Jun 29 23:43:39 UTC 2004

Hi Dave R. and others,
The book is really excellent. I got a copy from Jean Barman for my help
in filling in some of the genealogy and history of Maria Mahoi's first
"husband" Abel Douglass who is a relative on my mother's side (ie: not
from Grand Ronde).  The one mistake I saw was that the editors did not
catch the "Dear Island, Maine" is supposed to be Deer Island, Maine.
Maria was Indian-Hawaiian and spoke Chinook Jargon in her home on Salt
Spring Island.
David Lewis