Kamloops Wawa font?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Jun 30 17:08:42 UTC 2004

Recently one of you asked about the progress on 'the' Kamloops Wawa font,
i.e. for the shorthand alphabet.  As I understand things, no such font has
ever existed.  I don't know of anyone who is actually working on one,
either.

Marv Plunkett began work on a KW font a few years ago, I think, but it
didn't pan out.  And Lee Falconer figured out a way to draw the shorthand
writing on an internet page a couple of years ago.

(If someone can help me find Lee's pages in the Wayback Machine, I'd love
to have copies in my hard drive.)

When I speak publicly about KW, I tend to say that a KW font would be
terribly hard to create.  My reasoning is, the direction of the letters
changes with each letter you add to a word.  So I think you'd need an
intelligent font (read 'a program') in order to create a seamless cursive
flow, which is the proper way to write in KW.

Maybe that's not quite true, though.  Maybe a 'keyboard' can be developed
that accomplishes the same effect.  I don't know.

Anyway, because my dissertation will be about Kamloops Wawa, I'd be very
excited to see a KW font.  I'd love to use one in my writings, instead of
having to (1) transliterate into the Roman / English alphabet or (2) scan
each word of shorthand so I can pop it into my document.

If there were a little bit of money available, would anyone be interested
in developing a way to type in KW shorthand?  Please let me know.  I may
be able to find some funding.

Klahawiam,

--Dave R.