Indians of the Quinaielt Agency

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Nov 2 22:52:01 UTC 2004

Indians of the Quinaielt Agency, Washington Territory.  By C. Willoughby.
In Annual Report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian
Institution...1886.  Washington, DC: GPO, 1889.  Pp. 267-282.

Just got this book at a UVic book sale.  This article is full of insults
against the aboriginal people at Quinault, but contains interesting bits
too, like the following.

"The native idea of a Supreme Being finds an embodiment, as with the
Makahs, in the Soc-ca-li, Tyee Bird [sic], who is not as awe-inspiring,
however, as the Makah Thunder Bird..." (p.274)

"The me-satch-ies, or evil spirits, who take possession of sick people..."
(p.275)

"Se-guan, meaning a mole, is the name of the wooden image used by one of
the medicine men, 'Sammy', and is called by him, in English, 'my doctor'."
(p.278--'doctor' could be from CJ)

"Then he heard all kinds of noises proceeding from the earth, and saw
spirits and tamanaws (images)..." (p.278)

--Dave R