Are these words for BC game animals?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Nov 2 23:59:25 UTC 2004

Hi,

Can anybody help me understand the CAPITALIZED words in this passage?

Alta naika klatwa kopa muntin; naika tiki [h]ant KARABU pi KAROWAN OK pi
PIPA SAMIN.  Pus naika kopit naika mamuk, naika aiak naika klatu kopa
muntin; alta naika mamuk KARIN, naika mamuk SATAK pi SOM kanamokst naika.

English translation:

"Now I'm going to the mountains; I want to hunt KARABU and KAROWAN OK and
PIPA SAMIN.  When I'm done with my work, I'm going right away to the
mountains; then I'll [do/make] KARIN, I'll [do/make] SATAK and SOM with me."

Note 1: This was originally in shorthand.  The word [h]ant, which I
translated as 'hunt', could alternatively be the numeral 2.  (Don't ask.)
And the word OK could be the numeral 9.  So the write could be
saying, "...I want 2 KARABU and 9 KAROWAN..."

Note 2: I think I recognize the word 'caribou' here.  But what would the
other capitalized words mean?  Could any of them be from aboriginal
languages?  Or could mamuk KARIN = 'carry[ing]', mamuk SATAK = 'stock[ing]
[up]', and SOM = 'some'*** from English, so the last bit means "I'll pack
it up, and I'll cache it and [bring] some with me"?

***som = 'some' is found elsewhere in shorthand CJ.

Thanks for your suggestions,

--Dave R.