Are these words for BC game animals?

Tony Johnson Tony.Johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Wed Nov 3 00:54:55 UTC 2004

David and all (khanawi-Laksta),

After a quick look at this, it helps me to have the other option that
enumerates the number of Caribou, etc.  The reason being is that
pipa-samEn (paper salmon) is a traditional food that you might like to
have to travel with, but you definantly would not hunt it.  Some other
folks may have comments on "paper salmon," but it is a means of
preserving / preparing salmon.  Just a quick comment.

aLqi tsa wawa--Tony
sawash-ili7i
Grand Ronde, OR

>>> David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> 11/2/2004 3:59:25 PM >>>
Hi,

Can anybody help me understand the CAPITALIZED words in this passage?

Alta naika klatwa kopa muntin; naika tiki [h]ant KARABU pi KAROWAN OK
pi
PIPA SAMIN.  Pus naika kopit naika mamuk, naika aiak naika klatu kopa
muntin; alta naika mamuk KARIN, naika mamuk SATAK pi SOM kanamokst
naika.

English translation:

"Now I'm going to the mountains; I want to hunt KARABU and KAROWAN OK
and
PIPA SAMIN.  When I'm done with my work, I'm going right away to the
mountains; then I'll [do/make] KARIN, I'll [do/make] SATAK and SOM with
me."

Note 1: This was originally in shorthand.  The word [h]ant, which I
translated as 'hunt', could alternatively be the numeral 2.  (Don't
ask.)
And the word OK could be the numeral 9.  So the write could be
saying, "...I want 2 KARABU and 9 KAROWAN..."

Note 2: I think I recognize the word 'caribou' here.  But what would
the
other capitalized words mean?  Could any of them be from aboriginal
languages?  Or could mamuk KARIN = 'carry[ing]', mamuk SATAK =
'stock[ing]
[up]', and SOM = 'some'*** from English, so the last bit means "I'll
pack
it up, and I'll cache it and [bring] some with me"?

***som = 'some' is found elsewhere in shorthand CJ.

Thanks for your suggestions,

--Dave R.

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond
privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!