Are these words for BC game animals?

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Wed Nov 3 23:16:00 UTC 2004

I'd like to guess on the second part of the note. I'm not sure what the person
is doing so it is hard to guess, but I'll hazard the note relates to road
building or trail making.

I'll speculate that the first part is a list of provisions, while the second
part relates to his plans. I'll hazard a guess that KARIN means "Cairn" and
SATAK means "Stake"? I'll go out on a limb too and say that SOM might be also
spelled TZUM. If intended as "writing", perhaps some mail, a work order, contract,
  map, plan, or another type of document?? If the intention is "marking", this
would be a "blaze", or a mark made on a tree.

Since these suggestions can all be markers, it could be that the intention
is to measure and mark out some property or claim, or mark a trail or pack
route.

If "cairn," the activity may incorporate some trail or route finding, since
as far as I know, a cairn would not be created in the woods or meadows. A
typical marker cairn would only about knee high, and found in a gravelly, rocky
area where other markers might be quickly obscured, such as across a gravelly
slope or on top of a mountain ridge. Some mining claims might have been that
high. If cairns were made, some could still be in place.

Stakes I'm less familiar with, but they bring to mind the delineation of property
or rights. On the other hand, stakes can also be a route marker, across open
areas where there aren't any rocks and trees. I'm not sure what size the stakes.
  Very large stakes suggest fences.

Blazes are the marking of choice in wooded areas, where all the branches and
plants are a little confusing and it is easy to get turned around. A big gash
is cut out of the bark of a tree at about eye level, and is easy to spot.

To me it sounds like this person may be planning on doing some trail marking
after doing their other work. For example, if the work is road building, the
writer may be setting out the route for the road builders.

-- Leanne (http://timetemple.com)