French of the Mountains encore?

Craig Wong kozumo at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 9 20:19:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm a native speaker from Quebec. I suspect that I'll have to look into the
context since the quotation you provided seems
to be written in Quebec Jargon (i.e., Quebec French).

For instance, the title says "en mission chez les Babines"-- Babines means
"lips" in Quebec Jargon...which would translate to "in religious mission at the
Babines"

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:35:26 -0500, David Robertson <ddr11 at columbia.edu> wrote:
> These 2 quotations are in Ch. Wolfe, OMI.  1924.  Colombie Britannique: en
> mission chez les Babines. Petites annales de Marie-Immaculee (March:79-80).
>
> I think this looks like French with pidgin syntax, in fact in some ways
> similar to Chinook Jargon if it had only French words.  Possibly another
> example of the "French of the Mountains" referred to by David Mulhall in
> his 1986 book "Will to Power" which dealt with exactly the same
> geographical region of BC.  My interest: I suspect this language variety
> has not been described in the linguistic literature.
>
> "Content il est mon coeur de voir la figure a cela tout vous autres.  Loin
> il a marche', vous autres pour voir, le pretre: le Bon Dieu son Coeur va
> faire charite' a vous, etc. etc."
>
> "C'est cher cela l'Eucharistie!  Gros Il aime vous autres Jesus-Christ!"

I can't say for certain if it's strictly reserved to Quebec French,
but I've never
heard European francophones saying "vous autres"--meaning "you".
Otherwise, it's perfectly intelligible to any native Quebec speaker or
any francophones.
The syntax is not standard, but intelligible still.

- Craig