"Cat" word w/French definite article

vincent yann janilta at YAHOO.FR
Fri Oct 8 05:49:12 UTC 2004

Hello,

I may add that it is always difficult for French
speakers to decide whether a foreign borrowing should
be masculine or feminine...
The article is often taken from a French word with
similar meaning : 'une interview' because it is 'une
entrevue' . But the general rule is to prefer
masculine, thus some rather use 'un interview'.
In our case here, it should thus be 'une shirt' (for
'une chemise'), but the existing example un standard
French is 'un T-shirt'...
Finally, to make things easier, I'd like to add that
although masculine is generally the rule in France, it
is feminine in Quebec...  we say 'le job' , they say
'la job', etc, etc... Hope it helps... ;-)

Have a nice day, Yann