siwash cosho for "seal"

Robert Moore rem10us at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 16 16:48:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

Isn't this pretty transparently 'Indian [siwash] pork
[kushu]', where kushu/kosho shd be taken in its
meaning not of 'pig' (the animal), but of 'pork' (the
item of cuisine)?

As such it fits into a very widespread (Anglophone)
pattern by which a certain class of rather offensive
expressions--that you might as well call ethnic slurs
(really, descriptive epithets) are formed, where the
first term is an ethnic descriptor functioning as an
adjective, and the second is a noun, in which the
whole thing means, more or less, 'the (inherently
inferior) [___; ethnic term here]-ish version of what
*we* know as [___ noun here]'.

So, 'Welsh rabbit' (folk-etymologized to "Welsh
rarebit") is an English put-down of Welsh cuisine,
i.e., cheese on bread is as close as *they* (the
Welsh) can come to *our* (inherently superior) rabbit,
hence, 'to the Welsh, this [cheese + bread] is rabbit
(i.e., that's how poor, backward, etc. they are)'.

Another example would be 'Jewish lightning', used to
refer to a fire intentionally set in order to collect
insurance money.  Another would be 'Dutch treat'
(i.e., the Dutch are so penurious that when they
"treat" you to sthg., you have to pay for it).

I told you they were offensive.  These should of
course be distinguished from similar-looking forms in
which the adjective simply indicates place or culture
of origin--I don't think there's any disparagement
involved in 'German chocolate cake' or 'Canadian
bacon' (there would be, of course, if German chocolate
cake involved neither chocolate nor cake, or if
Canadian bacon were, oh, pork rinds).

Examples could be multiplied.  Particularly memorable
is one I learned from the late Hiram Smith of Warm
Springs, OR (d. ca. 1988), a speaker of what people
quaintly refer to on this list as "Old Chinook" (in
his case, Wasco):  "Oklahoma credit card."  Here, the
placename 'Oklahoma' does service for 'Indian', and
the term refers to a length of rubber hosing used to
siphon gas out of someone else's gas tank!

What this all suggests, of course, is that 'siwash
kosho' might well have been coined by a non-Indian
speaker of CJ, since these are all "out-group"
expressions par excellence (the late Mr Smith's
remarkable contribution notwithstanding).

So I suspect the search for seemingly similar-sounding
words for 'seal' in other languages may turn out to be
fruitless.  The model for 'siwash kushu' is probably
to be  found in English expressions like those listed
above (entering Chinuk Wawa by back-translation), and
the person who coined it was probably a non-Indian
with a low opinion of seal and other delicacies of
Native cuisine.

My two cents.

Rob

=== message truncated ===