siwash cosho for "seal"

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Thu Sep 16 20:56:17 UTC 2004

I love the bit about the wolf!

I'm not very familiar with makah food history, and only somewhat
familiar with chinook. My impression was that chinook depended very
heavily on the fishery and seal hunting was less important. With
makah was there a greater reliance on marine mammals?

I'm tickled with the idea that maybe makah contributed this word to
CJ by way of sound-alike.