"Michael Walsh" conversation

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Tue Jul 5 21:20:06 UTC 2005

Quoting Ros’ Haruo <rosharuo at gmail.com>:

> So "Michael Walsh" is Chinuk Wawa for English "[Rev.] Robert U. Washton"?
>  Haruo

Who?  Since my last posting on this topic, I went back and checked my notes,
making possible some clarification of what I previously said:

12/13/81, 6/27/82, Dellmore and Margie Croy, Grand Ronde.  Dellmore talked
Jargon at Hoquiam [WA] with Hattie Howeattle.  Dellmore also talked Jargon
there with a White missionary, Nick Sevenon [sic], who had learned it to preach
to Indians up in Washington.  Dellmore originally met him through Joe Corner [a
GR Indian also known as Joe Michelle:  he was married to Mary Shangretta Holmes
Corner=Conner=Michelle, remembered by elders I worked with as the most active
Indian Shaker at Grand Ronde; she lived part of the time at Hoquiam, I assume
as part of her Shaker activity].  Dellmore and he [Nick S.] used to write
letters to one another in Jargon [while Dellmore thought that those letters
must still be around, I never did manage to get to see them].  Nick S.'s
"Indian name" was "maikElwaS" [stress over -ai-; E=schwa, S=shibilant].

Several interesting points come now to mind.  Dellmore and Margie DIDN'T say
"Michael Walsh"--that seems to have been me (or my brain re-processing old
information) "filling in the blanks."  The name as I originally recorded it is
closer to "maika wash" than that; possibly, Dellmore or Margie (don't remember
now who exactly gave me the name) didn't recognize it as Jargon (of which
Dellmore was a speaker, Margie not), thinking it was from some Washington
indigenous language.  Anyway, this is, if not a smoking gun, pretty strong
confirmation that Rev. Nick Sivonen (corrected spelling; this name is in
Harrington's 1942 Washington state fieldnotes) was indeed "Maikawash" (<"maika
wash (kopa Jesus pilpil))."  Still haven't been able to find out anything more
about Rev. Nick Sivonen, however.

Another point of interest is the possible Shaker connection.  As a missionary in
western Washington state at that time (30's-40's), Rev. Sivonen certainly would
have encountered Shakers.  Perhaps he befriended them?  Hung out with them?
Anyone our there know anything about Hattie Howeattle?  Nick Sivonen?Henry