"Michael Walsh" conversation

Maria Pascua mcrcmaria at CENTURYTEL.NET
Wed Jul 6 00:18:25 UTC 2005

Maria

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf
Of hzenk at PDX.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 1:20 PM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: "Michael Walsh" conversation

Quoting Ros' Haruo <rosharuo at gmail.com>:

> So "Michael Walsh" is Chinuk Wawa for English "[Rev.] Robert U. Washton"?
>  Haruo

Who?  Since my last posting on this topic, I went back and checked my notes,
making possible some clarification of what I previously said:

12/13/81, 6/27/82, Dellmore and Margie Croy, Grand Ronde.  Dellmore talked
Jargon at Hoquiam [WA] with Hattie Howeattle.  Dellmore also talked Jargon
there with a White missionary, Nick Sevenon [sic], who had learned it to
preach
to Indians up in Washington.  Dellmore originally met him through Joe Corner
[a
GR Indian also known as Joe Michelle:  he was married to Mary Shangretta
Holmes
Corner=Conner=Michelle, remembered by elders I worked with as the most
active
Indian Shaker at Grand Ronde; she lived part of the time at Hoquiam, I
assume
as part of her Shaker activity].  Dellmore and he [Nick S.] used to write
letters to one another in Jargon [while Dellmore thought that those letters
must still be around, I never did manage to get to see them].  Nick S.'s
"Indian name" was "maikElwaS" [stress over -ai-; E=schwa, S=shibilant].

Several interesting points come now to mind.  Dellmore and Margie DIDN'T say
"Michael Walsh"--that seems to have been me (or my brain re-processing old
information) "filling in the blanks."  The name as I originally recorded it
is
closer to "maika wash" than that; possibly, Dellmore or Margie (don't
remember
now who exactly gave me the name) didn't recognize it as Jargon (of which
Dellmore was a speaker, Margie not), thinking it was from some Washington
indigenous language.  Anyway, this is, if not a smoking gun, pretty strong
confirmation that Rev. Nick Sivonen (corrected spelling; this name is in
Harrington's 1942 Washington state fieldnotes) was indeed "Maikawash"
(<"maika
wash (kopa Jesus pilpil))."  Still haven't been able to find out anything
more
about Rev. Nick Sivonen, however.

Another point of interest is the possible Shaker connection.  As a
missionary in
western Washington state at that time (30's-40's), Rev. Sivonen certainly
would
have encountered Shakers.  Perhaps he befriended them?  Hung out with them?
Anyone our there know anything about Hattie Howeattle?  Nick Sivonen?Henry

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to
the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!