"Michael Walsh" conversation

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Wed Jul 6 20:45:22 UTC 2005

>   I asked some of our Makah ministers about
> Rev. Nick Sevenon, and they remembered him, and also said people called him
> 'mayka waS' because he sang 'Are you Washed (in the blood)?' so often.

Thanks, Maria, for that confirmation that Nick Sivonen really was called
"Maykawash."  So everybody, scratch out "Michael Walsh," please.

Sivonen (correct spelling I believe; this is how Harrington writes the name)
being a Finnish name (pronounced SEE-vo-nen as Finnish), it seems likely that
this was indeed the "Finnish minister" married to an Indian woman in whose
church the Chinuk hymns Maria and I have studied were used.  Maybe people
around Quinault would remember him.  And does anyone know anything about Hattie
Howeattle?  Was she a Shaker?  I'm beginning to suspect that Rev. Sivonen had
some connection to the Shakers.  Henry