"Michael Walsh" conversation

Tony Johnson Tony.Johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Fri Jul 8 18:07:05 UTC 2005

khanawi-Laksta,

I have mentioned a little of this over time to Henry, but I just spoke
to one of my elders from Bay Center, and she passed on some good stuff
about "Maykawash" and our Chinook people.

She never knew him as Nick Sivonen," but heard later that was his name
(not as a kid).  As she pronounces it, his name was "Ma'ykawash."  When
she first remembered him in Bay Center he held church services in her
grandmother's house.  She stated "he was always there at the (Indian)
gatherings."

She states that she doesn't remember much about his ministry, but "that
song sure sticks with you."

She didn't know about his wife, but had an idea that she was an invalid
or incapacitated in some way (she wasn't sure about that though).

She had a really good memory of Maykawash bringing a big box of wrapped
Christmas presents to her house when she was little.  That was a big
deal to someone who, according to her own estimation, was "dirt poor."

Probably, the best part of my conversation with her was that she is
going to go and visit an Auntie of hers this weekend that has a picture
of Maykawash with her grandmother and grandfather.  She will make me a
copy.

Lush ikta ukuk, wikna?

Tony A. Johnson
Chinuk man nayka, bEt nayka miLayt khapa shawash-ili7i.