Tilikom (tilixam) = Indian, and other observations

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Jul 5 17:33:05 UTC 2005

I couldn't resist sharing some notes from a late issue of Kamloops Wawa
(July 1915, written in French).  I've pointed out before that "tilikom" or
tilixam, tillicum, didn't just mean "people" but had a primary association
with Indian people, at least in the Kamloops Wawa variety.  That's why we
find expressions like "tilikom, sitkom tilikom pi tkop man", "Indians,
halfbreeds & whites".  Expanding on these ideas:

Le Jeune comments on how Europeanized the Indians now are; how Le Jeune’s
old aunt “Marie-Anne Pip” in France was surprised that Chiefs Louis &
Celestin dressed as all the Indians do, in white man’s clothes, with no
bows & arrows—she couldn’t keep from blurting “But those are gentlemen,
not Indians!”; Le Jeune notes it’s ironic to call them “Sauvages” (wild
people); some years ago, the Nicola people had a saying, “Whites are
whites & Indians are Indians”; Le Jeune also relates the anecdote of a
lady whose baby he was about to baptize several years ago—he asked, “Is it
a boy or a girl?” and she replied “No, no!  It’s Indian!”

--Dave R