Why isn ’t Kwitshadi a good CW word?

Yakima Belle yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 9 00:46:22 UTC 2005

I replied to Francisc off-list originally because I
did not wish to discuss this on the list because it
results in in-fighting and accusations of "agendas"
and I did not want to see anyone treat him to the sort
of private missives I received after posting stories
and articles to the list - missives that attacked
orthography and vocabulary and were so vicious I quit
posting them here and took up Arabic.

As for "agendas", the only one I ever had was to
relearn a language I heard around me in childhood.
Perhaps those who have "agendas" should let me know
what they believe my alleged "agenda" to be.

--- Francisc Czobor <fericzobor at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> LaXayEm !
>
> If the facts are like that, then sorry for the
> missunderstanding.
>
> Francisc
>
> Tom Larsen <larsent at pdx.edu> wrote:
>
> LaXayam, Francisc,
>
> No one ever said at the Chinuk Lu7lu that kwitshadi
> was not a good CW
> word. The person who reported that on the list was
> misreporting the
> facts, apparently because they had other axes to
> grind. If memory
> serves, this was even pointed out in another message
> to the list. In
> any case, what was stated at the Lu7lu was that the
> word kwitshadi was
> not used at Grand Ronde. It was explicitly stated
> that kwitshadi WAS
> used in other places besides Grand Ronde. The author
> of the message on
> the list apparently didn't remember that.
>
> aLqi nesaika wawa,
>
> Tom Larsen
>
> Database Management and Catalog Librarian
> Branford Price Millar Library
> Portland State University
> P.O. Box 1151
> Portland, OR 97207-1151
>
> phone: 503-725-8179
> fax: 503-725-5799
>
> email: larsent at pdx.edu
>

> ---------------------------------
> Discover Yahoo!
>  Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online &
> more. Check it out!
>
> To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.
> To respond privately to the sender of a message,
> click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!

I swear I seen a twelve-foot-high hump-shouldered elk
with no antlers and swan neck - 19th C. miner, quoted
in "Lonesome Dromedary", The Big Book of the Weird Wild
West, Paradox Press, 1998.

"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." -- Thomas Mann