Why isn ’t Kwitshadi a good CW w ord?

Yakima Belle yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 9 03:13:38 UTC 2005

The event in question did not occur as described - it
was a matter that came up during the Lu?lu my husband
attended - the one where certain individuals referred
to an elderly gentleman in his presence as if he were
an insect in a collection - suggesting he was senile.

As for "axes to grind" and "agendas" - I would apply
those terms to the individuals who sent me obscenity
laden email when I posted stories to this list that
were written in other than GR grammar and vocabulary.
Having been referred to as a copulating female dog and
called a racist I took the subtle hints and ceased
posting stories here. Our group moderator was
forwarded a copy of the least obscene missive I could
find. One was so hateful as to cause the system
administrator to suggest notifying the FBI; in
retrospect, I wish I had because then what occurred
would be public knowledge to everyone on the list, and
the media as well.

--- Tom Larsen <larsent at PDX.EDU> wrote:

> LaXayam, Francisc,
>
> No one ever said at the Chinuk Lu7lu that kwitshadi
> was not a good CW
> word.  The person who reported that on the list was
> misreporting the
> facts, apparently because they had other axes to
> grind.  If memory
> serves, this was even pointed out in another message
> to the list.  In
> any case, what was stated at the Lu7lu was that the
> word kwitshadi was
> not used at Grand Ronde.  It was explicitly stated
> that kwitshadi WAS
> used in other places besides Grand Ronde.  The
> author of the message on
> the list apparently didn't remember that.
>
> aLqi nesaika wawa,
>
> Tom Larsen
>
> Database Management and Catalog Librarian
> Branford Price Millar Library
> Portland State University
> P.O. Box 1151
> Portland, OR 97207-1151
>
> phone: 503-725-8179
> fax:   503-725-5799
>
> email: larsent at pdx.edu
>

> Francisc Czobor wrote:
>
> >Klahawya,
> >
> >This question is addressed mainly to the people
> elaborating the Grand Ronde
> >CW.
> >I have read in the Archives of the Chinook Studies
> List (Nov. 2002) that
> >some years ago, at a Chinuk Lu’lu held at GR, was
> stated that Kwitshadi is
> >not a good CW word, and that the descriptive yuLqat
> q’wElan “long ear(s)”
> >should be used instead.
> >
> >I agree that yuLqat q’wElan is a good CW espression
> – it was used by John
> >Hudson in “Rabbit Races Mud Turtle” (M. Jacobs:
> “Texts in Chinook Jargon”,
> >University of Washington Publications in
> Anthropology, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1936,
> >page 14), but it doesn’t appear in the “classical”
> dictionaries of Gibbs,
> >Hale, Shaw, nor in Demers/Blanchet/St.Onge or in Le
> Jeune’s gossaries.
> >
> >But what is wrong with kwitshadi?
> >
> >It appears in several old sourced, and since it
> transribed in different
> >ways, it seems that these source (at least in part)
> have recorded it
> >independently:
> >
> >Gibbs 1863 (and after him Hale 1890, Shaw 1909,
> etc): kwit-shad-ie
> >
> >J.M.R. Le Jeune: Chinook Rudiments (1924):
> kwitshati
> >
> >The glossary appended to A.C. Anderson’s “Hand-book
> and map
” (1857):
> >quitchaddy
> >
> >The three very closely related glossaries
> (Hutchings & Rosenfield
> >(publ.): “Vocabulary of the Chinook Jargon” (1860);
> Hibben & Carswell
> >(publ.): “Dictionary of Indian Tongues
” (1862);
> and D.G.F.
> >Macdonald: “Chinook Jargon and English Equivalents”
> (1863)): cuitchaddy
> >
> >The “Mystery Dictionary” on Jeff Kopp’s website:
> kwet-shoot-ee
> >
> >Gibbs noted that this word is “confined to Puget
> Sound”, Shaw included it
> >in the “Supplemental Vocabulary” (Less Familiar
> Words—Not Strictly Jargon—
> >or of Only Local Use), Le Jeune listed it under
> “words used in other
> >districts”; thus it was a word of local use, namely
> in the Puget Sound
> >area, as shown also by its etymology (Lushootseed
> - Nisqually dialect:
> >kwÉchdi, Snohomish dialect: kwchdi), but
> nevertheless it was a good CW
> >word, at least for the PS area, where CW was very
> actively used in the 19th
> >century.
> >
> >In my opinion, yuLqat q’wElan is not “better CW”
> than kwitshadi. Indeed,
> >the later is borrowed from Salishan, but the former
> is a CW creation from a
> >Chinookan (yuLqat) and a Salishan (q’wElan)
> element. The Proper Chinook
> >word for rabbit is isinikás.
> >
> >Thus, kwitshadi should not be rejected only because
> it was used in PSCW and
> >not in GRCW. I think it should be considered as a
> “legitime” synonym for
> >yuLqat q’wElan.
> >
> >Francisc
> >
> >To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.
> To respond privately to the sender of a message,
> click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!
> >

> To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.
> To respond privately to the sender of a message,
> click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!

I swear I seen a twelve-foot-high hump-shouldered elk
with no antlers and swan neck - 19th C. miner, quoted
in "Lonesome Dromedary", The Big Book of the Weird Wild
West, Paradox Press, 1998.

"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." -- Thomas Mann