Why isn't Kwitshadi a good CW word?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 11 10:36:36 UTC 2005

LaXayEm Tayi Tony,

dret hayash mersi for your detailed message; it seems that I have really missinterpereted those old messages to this List. Namunk tsipi pi alta sik natEmtEm. Indeed, it would be no reason to reject a CW word that is so widely attested.

ALki wEXt,

Francisc (Laksta dret saya yamiLayt...)

Tony Johnson <Tony.Johnson at grandronde.org> wrote:
tayi Francisc,

Please consider the source of the assertion that "k'wichEdi" is not a good Chinuk Wawa word. I certainly do not remember all of the details of the conversation, but the word came up in the context of a discussion of vocabulary at a Chinuk-wawa lu7lu sponsored here in Grand Ronde. We gave the word for Rabbit as "yuLqat-q'wElan," but I remember distinctly defending "k'wichEdi" as legitimate (just not what we typically teach). While our dictionary is focused entirely on the language as recorded by elder speakers of the Grand Ronde area we have been very willing to include vocabulary from other areas in our daily conversation. This especially happens in the context of lacking a word that exists elsewhere. This has happened frequently and our preschoolers are growing up with a version of the language that includes aspects of Chinuk Wawa from where I originate (Willapa Bay, WA) as well as other places. We have been very comfortable doing this so long as we have a reliable source for the
 word. There have been many heated discussions surrounding the idea of what is the "best Chinuk Wawa" on the list, and I believe your reference comes from a similar vein. We here in Grand Ronde have tried to avoid that conversation altogether. The only thing that we feel strongly about is that many of the English orthography Chinuk Wawa dictionaries are lacking in that they are very difficult to determine pronunciation, and like all dictionaries, don't really allow for an understanding of grammar. This is problematic if people then base their opinions of the language on these sources only. I do feel for people wanting to study the Native variety of this language though because there are very few sources. We in Grand Ronde are working to slowly change that, and hope to be able to have a new (but limited) language learning CD available for people this year. Likewise, we are continuing the Chinuk Wawa Dictionary Project and hope to have a published version available before too long.

aLqi tsa wawa--Tony A. Johnson
shawash-ili7i (Grand Ronde, OR)

http://mail.yahoo.com