"Our Roots" Canada Web archive

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Wed Jul 20 07:55:29 UTC 2005

At 12:01 AM 07/20/05, Francisc Czobor wrote:
>What does it mean "kaflooey"?
>I didn't find this word in any English dictionary, nor in any Chinook
>Jargon dictionary.
>
>Francisc

I apologize for the obscure colloquialism. I realized I wasn't sure of its
exact meaning nor its origin.

The Dict. Am. Slang (Wentworth & Flexner) gives (under blooey): go blooey,
go blooie, go flooey, go flooie as to cease operating properly; to collapse
or fall apart; to fail suddenly, lit. = to explode. First ref. from 1930s;
an etiology was not offered.

I've heard "kerflooie" as well.

Best regards,

Jeff