Strange word for "stars"

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 20 07:14:32 UTC 2005

Thank you very much, Anthony.
I wonder why Hale gave it as Chinookan (or maybe it was just a typo: "C" instead of "S", for Salishan).

Indeed, the normal CW word for stars (ts'El-ts'El, tsil-tsil, chil-chil, sil-sil) means also "buttons" and you might be right that this last one was the original meaning: the early glossary of Ross (dating from 1810-1813) has: "Buttons  Cill-cill".

Francisc

Anthony Grant <Granta at edgehill.ac.uk> wrote:
It's Cowlitz. (At least it certainly occurs there.) I came across this fact quite by chance reading a handout from a paper that the late Dale Kinkade gave. I think the original form is something like /Lak'isi/. The usaual word for star may just once have only meant 'buttons'.

Anthony

>>> Francisc Czobor 19/07/2005 14:34:29 >>>
LaXayEm khanawi Laksta,

In several Chinook Jargon dictionaries appears a strange word for "stars",
recorded in different forms:

Anderson (1857): Klakcee

Anonymous ("Old employee, formerly of the Hudson Bay Company"): Klakee

Hutchings&Rosenfield, publ. (1860), Macdonald (1863): Klakeece

Hibben&Carswell (1862): Klukeece

Hale (1890): Klaseess

It is difficult to draw a conclusion on which form is correct. My opinion
is that it is the form quoted by Hale, because this is the most reliable
source.

Regarding the etymology, Hale indicates "C.", that is, Chinook. The other
sources don't have etymologies.

Is this really a Chinookan word? My only source for Chinookan, namely
Curtis's "The North American Indian", has for "star":
Wishram: kíxanaba,
Chinook: iekhixánap,
Cathlamet: iekixánapx,
thus, nothing comparable to Klaseess or the like.
I also didn't find it in other potential donor languages: Salishan, Nootkan
(incl. Makah), Sahaptin (Yakima, Klickitat, Nez Perce).

In some Coast Salishan languages, there are words for "star" somehow
similar, but they don't begin with kl-, rather with k(h)- or k(h)w-
(Cowlitz: khási, Lummi: khwâsn, Klallam: hwásin, Nooksack: khósEn,
Cowichan: khwásin, Saanich: kwasEn), thus I'm not sure if they could be
related to "Klaseess".

So what origin could have such a word?

Another question: was this actually used in Chinook Wawa, or is it merely a
lexicographic curiosity, carried over from one dictionary to another?

Hayu masi,
Francisc

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill or associated companies. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and all copies of it. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill do not actively monitor content. However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
<<<>>>