"Mystery dictionary" back up; Anderson/"Old Employee" revisited

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 13 05:56:58 UTC 2005

In light of the time Leanne put into analyzing it (see her msg Re: "Old
employee, ... - to Jeff"; the subject line was left over from discussion of
another book), and the fact that Francisc hasn't seen it yet, I re-posted
the "Mystery dictionary" found at an Olympia estate sale a couple years ago
and loaned to me for scanning. (Its purchaser was hoping I'd know what it
was worth--and so far, nobody's seen another copy of this puppy.) I was
tight on Web space when I pulled it, but now have plenty.

http://chinookjargon.home.att.net/unkdic.htm

P.S. Zigging back to the "Old Employee" lexicon, we still haven't figured
out where it and a version found appended to in "Hand-book ... of Frazer's
and Thompson's rivers" came from, since the first is unattributed and the
latter's author A.C. Anderson disclaimed it by hand note right in the copy
Our Roots happened to archive. I doubt H&R nor H&C originated it; although
the copyrights on their books are a year or two earlier than Macdonald's, I
suspect they fudged; Macdonald impresses me (admittedly without looking
myself) as most likely.

Regards,

Jeff