"Mystery dictionary" back up; Anderson/"Old Employee" revisited

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 16 10:44:24 UTC 2005

Klahawya Jeff pi kanawi klaksta!

Hayash mersi, Jeff, for putting back the "Mystery dictionary".
It looks to me as a very valuable source for studying Chinook Wawa.
After a first look, it looks a dictionary made on a Gibbs-Shaw basis, but with additional material.
What strikes me is that it contains a series of words, some surely Chinookan, the others most probably also Chinookan, that I have seen in no other CJ dictionary or glossary, excepting Ross' "Chinook Vocabulary":

Ack “nephew” (Ross: id.) - Chinookan (LC -aq, according to Dr. George Lang)
Capala “cheeks” (Ross: Capala-ketanux)
Econe “good spirit” (Ross: id.) - Chinookan (LC ikanati, Cathlamet ikanatix “human spirit”)
Ecutoch “bad spirit” (Ross: id.)
Emeets “nose” (Ross: Emeeats)
Emeck “back” (Ross: Emeck-kuts-ach)
Etamana “prophet” (Ross: Etaminua) - Chinookan (cf. LC itamanwEs “spirit creature”)
Etsitsa “sick” (Ross: id.)
Keelally “doctor” (Ross: Keelalley) - Chinookan ? (cf. Wishram idiahilalit “medicine man”)
Okchok “shoulders” (Ross: Ok-chak-chalea-quilea-matic)
Okuste “daughter” (Ross: “daughter-in-law”)
Oquahtum “sister” (Ross: Oquetam “sister-in-law”)
Oquackakull “wife” (Ross: Oquackekull)
Oquanax “neck” (Ross: Oakquamux)
Otsotsach “teeth” (Ross: Otsatsach) - Chinookan ? (cf. LC hl-kas-ts-x)
Ouwucheh “swan” (Ross: Ouwucha)
Telemin “ribs” (Ross: Telleman)
Tillshell “husband” (Ross: Tlickchall)
Ulchey “moose” (Ross: “moon” - “obviously a scribal error”, according to Dr. George Lang)

There are also words very rarely found in other dictionaries, for instance:

Cha-pootch-us “beard”, which I found only in F. N. Blanchet's "Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon".

Some words have unusual forms; so the word for "dog" appears as "Kowmux", a form that I have seen only in Phillips' "The Chinook Book".

Also striking are some French words appearing without the definite article, as they do in all the other dictioanries:

Goom “pitch”, Goom stick “pitch wood”
Plah “dish or pots”

That's all for the moment. When I'll get the time to have a closer look, I will tell you if I find something interesting.

Alki wekt,
Francisc