Maple

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 17 17:41:32 UTC 2005

LaXawya wEXt !

In Jacobs’ “Texts in Chinook Jargon”, the first text told by Thomas Paul, a
Sanich of British Columbia, is entitled in English “Maple” and in
Jargon “t’sáLElp”. Is this a Chinook Wawa word or just a word introduced by
the narrator from his own Salishan language?
I didn’t see in any other CW source such a word for “maple”. In most
dictionaries, maple is called isik stik “paddle wood”.
For shure it is of Salishan origin (tree names ending -lp or -Lp appear in
many Salishan languages). But I found something similar only in Cowichan (a
Halkomelem dialect): tsá-LaLp (in Curtis’ “The North American Indian”, vol.
9). In the Saanich (North Straits Salish) Classified Word List
(http://www.cas.unt.edu/~montler/Saanich/WordList/) there is
t’ththe7ELch “broad-leaf maple” and p’iyne7eLp “Rocky Mt. maple; “vine”
maple” (I transcribed with “th” the theta letter – voiceless interdental
fricative). Thus a Halkomelem word in Straits Salish? Or rather a
Halkomelem word in British Columbia CW?
Nayka tiki kEmtEks qhata
Francisc