Umchaka etymology?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Nov 22 20:30:02 UTC 2005

This inquiry came to me today, and I thought someone on this list might
have an idea about the word in question, since Moberly / Moberley Lake is
an area where Saulteaux / Ojibwe people live.  I'll forward any

"We received a call into our office today concerning the native language
(if it is) of the word "umchaka".  It originates in Northeastern BC around
Moberley Lake (according to the fellow who is related to the individuals
who used this word).  Do you know?"