Hiya!

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Oct 27 23:41:46 UTC 2005

This is a bit off the topic of Jargon, but I'm reading up on Chinese Pidgin
English because of the number of words in Kamloops Wawa that could come
from it...

I know we get a number of common English expressions from CPE, like "no can
do" and "chop chop".

But does anyone know if we got "hiya" (meaning "hello") from CPE also?
Various online sources say this is known from the 1940s onward, which could
mean CPE is a less likely source.

Just curious,

--Dave R