Why the southern boundary of Chinuk Wawa use?

David Lewis coyotez at UOREGON.EDU
Tue Sep 6 18:06:27 UTC 2005

Hi Leanne,
Your Southern Boundary question is a good one. It seems to have been
assumed that the Columbia River is a southern boundary. But I have
records in the SWORP collections from Grand Ronde, Siletz and further
south that indicate the Chinook Jargon was well know and used as far
south as Northern California. This discussion needs to occur within
concurrent discussions of the Fur Trade, Missionaries, The Shaker
Church, etc. Because all of these historic themes served to help spread
Chinook Jargon. If you look into resources on the Indian Shaker Church
you will find that Chinook Jargon was the main language that was used in
the Church and that it became the medium for spreading the "gospel" to
Grand Ronde, Siletz, Klamath, Smith River, and Hupa.

But this is a situation that occurred from 1880's to 1930's. There are
previous significant historic movements that also helped spread Chinook
Jargon, Catholic Missionaries, Fur trade etc.

What I would like to focus on is the time before contact with Europeans.
I have not seem any good research on the spread of Chinook Jargon before
contact. there are many assumptions, based on Linguistic or History
theories of the spread of native languages and the assumed amount of
contact between native peoples. many of these theories are based on the
premise that Native people did not travel too far from their homelands,
an assumption which is odd as there are also many romantic theories that
native peoples were wandering throughout the landscape... But we have
accounts of Natives being traders bettween different tribes across vaste
regions. Native people traded goods far afield of their homelands. In
fact they know how to get places far away and communicate with other
people which is one reason Natives were hired as scouts to lead
voyageurs and Lewis and Clark westward.

So taking these understandings to heart, there is no reason to assume
that Chinook Jargon might not have been spread by Native peoples in a
time previous to European contact. yes sign language would be a factor
and yes that may have been impediments to some travel in some areas, but
by-and-large native people spread their own trade languages over vaste
areas. Of course, after contact, the Fur Trade helped spread it futher
and changed the vocabulary significantly.

This may be why, the Karuk of the Klamath River and the Tolowa of the
coast knew and traded for Dentalium, which they called Aliqua, in
Northern California, the trade route was an inland route that came down
the east side of the Cascades and through the Klamath Tribes and down
the Klamath river. They had at least words of Chinook Jargon in their
regular knowledge. And George Gibbs, after learning Chinook Jargon at
Astoria, was hired by Redick McKee in 1850? to be the Interpreter for
the trip from Sutter's fort to the Oregon Border, and helped negotiate
and sign treaties with the Indian Tribes along the way...

This is a subject that deserves more research, with open eyes and with a
good understanding of Native culture.

Not that people would not do this nowadays, but it seems to me that many
researchers become invested in a polemic position and stick to it at the
expense of history.

David Lewis