Why the southern boundary of Chinuk Wawa use?

Bernard Schulmann bernard at SHAMA.CA
Tue Sep 6 20:26:45 UTC 2005

While I have no way to prove this, I suspect that the Columbia river
system and how it flows and makews for a good trade route is one aspect,
the second geographic is the sheltered inland waters that run from Puget
Sound northwards.   The coastal network and the Columbia network share
numerous clear linkages.

So, I suspect that it is an issue of ease of movement of people and goods.

In all my work on early contact history of the interior of BC, it is
clear that the Kamloops region was very clearly already linked in some
manner to the coast via the Okanagan/Columbia system and through the
Lillooet - Lakes route.    But nothing from Oregon other than along the
Columbia or from within the Willemette (sp?) valley have an resonance in
what I have dealt with.

Bernard