Why the southern boundary of Chinuk Wawa use?

Erik Perrohe yakala at EMERALD-FOREST.NET
Thu Sep 8 06:27:53 UTC 2005

Not sure if this is helpful....

But, I think a distinction needs to be made between the written literature,
which was of necessity/majority from the whites (moving northward); and the
commerce which is little documented but was frequently practiced by the
First Peoples.

Of course without documentation, it's kind of a dead end pursuit...

What I can tell you is a story that was told to me by a Chinook elder.  It
was a description of a trading journey which went far to the south.  From
the description of the items being traded, this elder believes that the
Chinooks were going as far south as Mexico and that this occurred fairly
regularly in pre-contact times.

As to what language they were speaking, one can only speculate...  However,
from what I've read, the jargon is 80% derived from Chinook proper.

My own Chinook ancestor was in Dutch Harbor Unalaska when he met a Russian
woman.  So this was a highly mobile tribe.

-- Erik