Why the southern boundary of Chinuk Wawa use?

Maria Pascua mcrcmaria at CENTURYTEL.NET
Wed Sep 14 21:42:18 UTC 2005

Hi Leanne,
I just wanted to comment about the different spellings in the book.  For
those who may not be aware, the Kla-iz-zart tribe is in reference to the
kla-a-satX or 'Makah' tribe who made several trips to Friendly Cove while
Jewitt was in captivity there.  The dialectical differences must have been
challenging for Jewitt to understand.  We pronounce camas today [kwah-dis]
and the MuwachatX band then at Friendly Cove  probably pronounced the same
word with the [n] and a slight vowel change, [kwah-noos]; and the word for
expressing 'Mmmmm!' or saying something tastes good or sweet in Makah is
[cha-bas], and in the Nuuchanulth languages it is [cha-mas]. When people ate
the camas, they probably said of it 'Cha-mas!' 'This tastes so good!' so
perhaps Jewitt thought [cha-mas] was a synonym for 'camas'.
Maria

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf
Of Leanne Riding
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 10:10 PM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Why the southern boundary of Chinuk Wawa use?

Yeah I agree, and I seem to have left out some other huge gaps now that
I go back and read what I wrote last post. For instance I forgot to add
also the late 18th C. words recorded in Nootka Sound journals of Cook
(Kerr), Colnett/Martinez (Howay)

That last post of mine was very "eurocentric" (can't think of a better
word), wasn't it. I am in the "interpreting old journals" phase of my
personal development and that's all I know right now... I hope you'll
all bear with me ;)

One journal which looked excellent for the way it described trade was
John Rodgers Jewitt's journal based in Nootka Sound 1803-1806, in which
a lot of familiar sounding words are used. For instance he described
that the "Kla-iz-zarts" brought "an excellent root called by the
Kla-iz-zarts Quawnoose. This is the size of a small onion, but rather
longer, being of a tapering form like a pear, and of a brownish colour.
It is cooked by steam, is always brought in basket ready prepared for
eating, and is in truth a very fine vegetable, being sweet, mealy and of
a most agreeable flavour." Which in my opinion is Camas, possibly baked
rather than steamed. (Jewitt 95, 122) What I'd like to know, though, is
why the word is spelled so differently in the vocabulary in the back of
the book? "Chammass" (207). Does that indicate that someone else wrote
or influenced the list? Or is to do with Jewitt's handwriting?

- Leanne

Jewitt, John R. (John Rodgers), 1783-1821. A narrative of the adventures
and sufferings of John R. Jewitt: only survivor of the ship Boston
during a captivity of nearly three years among the Indians of Nootka
Sound : with an account of the manners, mode of living and religious
opinions of the natives. Ed. Richard Alsop, 1761-1815. (Middletown
[Conn.?] : Printed by Loomis, and Richards and reprinted by Rowland
Hurst, Wakefield, and published by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown
... London ... , 1816.) Available at Early Canadiana Online.