'mula' also = 'machine'

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Apr 6 16:44:44 UTC 2006

A word that's in most Jargon dictionaries is "moolah" or "mula".  (Also in
the name of Duane Pasco's "Tenas Wawa" character Moolah John.)

This comes from Metis French "moulin" or "mill".  I guess in the Northwest
it would originally refer to a sawmill; maybe also to a hand-held flour
mill, etc.?

In Lushootseed and Upper Chehalis Salish, judging by the published
dictionaries, this Jargon word also means "any machine".  It seems fairly
safe to assume the same meaning existed in Chinook Jargon, although I'm not
finding it in my quick check of S. Johnson.

This is probably an older way of saying "machine" in Jargon.  A newer one
would be the word "mashin" in the Kamloops Wawa area, which I've found
people using in the Jargon letters they wrote.

For example, one man wrote Father Le Jeune a letter asking him to bring his
writing machine [the mimeograph used for printing Kamloops Wawa) on his
next visit.

An even more recent word for this idea would be "lakaset" (la cassette).
Originally this meant "box", which is a meaning it held onto in all
varieties of Jargon.  But at Grand Ronde this has also become a way of
referring to devices like phones, computers, and so on.

--Dave R