Moccasins = "sail shoes"?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Feb 2 19:23:11 UTC 2006

Have you ever come across a phrase "sail shoes" (sil shu[sh]) in Jargon,
for "moccasins"?

Sam Johnson's dissertation lists phrases "stick shoes", "chickamin shoes",
and "skin shoes" for various items, plus the word "moccasin".  But I
haven't found "sail shoes".

I ask because I'm trying to figure out a Thompson Salish word that's given
as an unanalyzable root (unknown origin) in the dictionary of that
language.  The word is /siLts'u7/.  (L=voiceless lateral "barred l",
ts'=ejective alveolar affricate, 7=glottal stop.)

Looking for a Jargon etymology for it is a bit of a stretch, but may be
worth considering.  Sometimes in Salish, /l/ has become /L/.  And if I
squint I can picture earlier Thompson speakers learning CJ /sil/ "fabric"
and /shu(sh)/ "shoe(s)", then compounding them in a Salish way, with the
connector /-L-/.

Another idea could be that the Salish lexical suffix /-(i)ts'e7/ "covering,
skin, etc." influenced the way /shu(sh)/ was understood by locals.

Circumstantial support for these ideas can be found in a number of other CJ
loans into Thompson, which show signs of having been reanalyzed as having
Salish morphemes.  Two examples that come to mind are /liplit/ "priest"
and /lEpel/ "shovel", both reanalyzed as having /n-/ "in, at, etc."
[understood to be pronounced as /l/ due to a Halkomelem Salish {n-less}
accent!].  (This suggests close contact with Halkomelem speakers, from
whose downriver territory CJ probably came to Thompson lands.)

Any of your ideas about this would be welcome.

--Dave R