Alternate names for Salmon in Chinook Wawa

Yakima Belle yakimabelle at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 6 19:39:08 UTC 2006

ikwEna? Is this the origin of Yaquina?

(http://www.u.arizona.edu/~cashcash/CJ_sources_pcc.pdf),

http://curtis.library.northwestern.edu/viewPage.cgi?showp=1&size=2&id=nai.11.book.00000289&volume=11),

http://roa.rutgers.edu/files/716-0205/716-KIM-0-0.PDF).

>   Now, about “salowek”: isn’t it of Salishan origin?
> I suspect this because of two reasons:
>
>   1. It is attested (in the form “sallo-waek”) in
> dictionaries or vocabularies having also some other
> Salishan words not attested elsewhere
> (Hutchings&Rosenfield 1860, Hibben&Carswell 1862,
> Macdonald 1863)
>
>   2. In Saanich
> (http://www.cas.unt.edu/~montler/Saanich/WordList/)
> there is a word quite similar, xwsElewE (with
> superscript w), meaning “sockeye salmon”.
>
>   aLki wEXt,
>   Francisc
>

> ---------------------------------
> Relax. Yahoo! Mail virus scanning helps detect nasty
> viruses!
>
> To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.
> To respond privately to the sender of a message,
> click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!

I swear I seen a twelve-foot-high hump-shouldered elk
with no antlers and swan neck - 19th C. miner, quoted
in "Lonesome Dromedary", The Big Book of the Weird Wild
West, Paradox Press, 1998.

"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." -- Thomas Mann