Questions re Allison 1892

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Fri Feb 24 03:54:55 UTC 2006

I'll bet that the first is going to be Spring Beauty or Claytonia
Lanceolata or some other kind of Claytonia. Claytonia perfoliata is
called Miner's Lettuce by my dad. He just eats the green part though.
There are apparently lots of different kinds of Claytonias.

If lebine is a soapberry used for making “Indian Ice Cream,” then it is
going to be some kind of Shepherdia berry, probably Shepherdia
Canadensis aka buffaloberry or soopolallie (CJ). But I agree it sounds
like she's referring to the foamed-up product rather than the berry.

Suggestions for "lebine":

"le bière" or beer in regards to the foam? I know thats an "n" there,
but thats the only other foamy thing I can think of... :) Maybe there
was some nice foamy beveragy treat that I am not aware of... other than
good ol' "sasparilla"

lepan, for bread? now I'm really stretching it. But yeast bread IS
another thing that gets fluffy.

I'm puzzled why a french or CJ word might be used for this product
though I have read that these berries were a trade item.

- Leanne