Papoose in Interior BC CW

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Feb 25 00:58:53 UTC 2006

I mentioned a day or two ago that 'papoose' was used in Chinuk Wawa in the
interior of BC by Salish people.  Here's a good example, the last several
words from a letter written by a Shuswap man in shorthand:

"naika chako drit komtaks mamuk pipa
pi naika papus iaka tlus iaka
ilo sik pi naika klutshman wiht iaka ilo
sik pi wiht naika ilo sik kapit"

You will notice the lack of punctuation.  This man is actually talking
about two separate topics.  I included the first just because it's neat to
get an idea of the enthusiasm the First Nations people had for the Chinook
shorthand in the mid-1890s.  Here's a somewhat literal translation:

"I'm really learning how to write [shorthand],
and my kid, he's fine, he's
not at all sick, and my wife too, she's not at all
sick, and also I'm not at all sick; that's all."

If anyone has any questions about the grammar etc., please ask.  I'm happy
to share what I know.

--Dave R