Is the word "Tuschohatchie" of CJ origin?

Jonathan Pryce jonathanpryce at COMCAST.NET
Wed Jan 4 03:34:58 UTC 2006

Hi all,

This is my first posting to the list.  Please be warned I'm not a scholar,
just a special needs school teacher who began to ask questions about place
names in the Pacific NW and so "stumbled" onto the Jargon.

Tuscohatchie is a place name, two lakes namely, an upper and a lower, in
the SW Alpine Lakes Wilderness area just NW of Snoqualmie Pass.  Said pass
is some 50 miles east of Seattle.

I ask because, as in much of the Washington State Cascades, this patch is
richly endowed with place names of CJ origin, e.g., Kaleetan Peak and Lake,
the aptly named Melakwa Lake, Talapus Lake, Ollalie Lake (berry picking is
better at Kaleetan Lake), Lake Kulla Kulla and other CJ place names.

After reading Jim Holton's CJ book--my first proper introduction to the
Jargon--I suspect these appellations are the work of A. H. Sylvester, an
employee with the Unites States Geological Survey in late 19th and early
20th centuries.  The first topographical maps of the area were produced
around this time.  Sylvester's name appears on many early maps, including
my copy of the 1898 Snoqualmie Pass 30 min. topo.  Holton mentions an
amusing story relating to the Sylvester's naming of a dog and a peak.

I've never found Tuscohatchie in any of the CJ glossaries I'm familiar
with.  Anyone know?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Pryce
Seattle, Washington

Jonathan Pryce
(206) 783-3175

Keep trying.  There's always more toothpaste in the tube.