Fwd: Re: Point Elliott treaty

Thomas R. Speer trspeer at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 21 00:16:44 UTC 2006

Dear Maria Pascua and David Robertson,

I read with great interest your recent E-Mail regarding the 1855 Point Elliott Treaty:

"Have we previously discussed the Point Elliott treaty?   I've just returned
from some archival research with a copy of a Jargon translation of a speech
made to the assembled tribal representatives.   If you haven't seen this
before, I'll try to type it up and post it."

As you may know, the Duwamish were the first tribe named in the Treaty, and Chief Seattle was the very first signatory, signing on  behalf of the "Dwamish, Suquamish, and Allied Tribes" [sic].  Our elected Duwamish Tribal Chair, the Honorable Cecile Hansen, and many other Duwamish Tribe leaders and members, are descendants of Chief Seattle and his family.

Would you please make a copy of the Point Elliott Treaty and the "Jargon translation of a speech made to the assembled tribal representatives" available to  the First Nation of Chief Seattle, the Duwamish Tribe?

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

Sincerely yours,

Thomas R. Speer
Member, Board of Directors, Duwamish Tribal Services
(206) 375-2249
TRSpeer at Yahoo.Com

Maria Pascua <mcrcmaria at CENTURYTEL.NET> wrote:, the Duwamish Tribe?

From: Maria Pascua <mcrcmaria at CENTURYTEL.NET>
Subject: Re: Point Elliott treaty
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG

 I would love to see a copy of that treaty in CJ.  At the CJ workshop last
year one of the linguists mentioned working on a treaty translation before,
but did not have a copy with him to share with us.  I look forward to seeing
this post - Thanks Dave!
Maria

Have we previously discussed the Point Elliott treaty?  I've just returned
from some archival research with a copy of a Jargon translation of a speech
made to the assembled tribal representatives.  If you haven't seen this
before, I'll try to type it up and post it.

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to
the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!