Point Elliott treaty

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Fri Jul 21 20:08:47 UTC 2006

Is this the speech that according to the transcript was given by Col. Simmons?
It's just a ceremonial speech for opening the convocation, not a translation of
the treaty.  George Gibbs was the secretary for that commission I believe, and
whether or not he composed the speech I believe it was he who wrote it down
(there is a handwritten original, which could be compared against other samples
of Gibbs's handwriting to verify this).  It's been awhile since I've looked at
this and so my memory is a bit hazy, but that's the way I remember it now.
Henry