For fun: Visual Thesaurus

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Jul 26 18:30:51 UTC 2006

I came across the Visual Thesaurus (www.visualthesaurus.com/?vt) by chance
today.  It's a useful tool for understanding how some words' meanings
relate to each other in a given language.  There's no Chinook Jargon
version...yet...but I did search on the term "pidgin".  The only result was
a connection to "artificial language"!  In contrast, "creole" linked in one
direction to "natural language" and "tongue", and in another direction
to "American" and a passel of other words.  Interesting assumptions are
built in there.

On a more scholarly note, I suggest that once we have a dictionary of
Jargon that works like an average English dictionary, defining each word
*in Jargon*, a Visual Thesaurus could be created.  It'd be a huge powerful
teaching tool, kind of like immersion lessons that don't require you to be
around other speakers.

Let's backtrack for a second, though...who the heck is going to build that
Jargon-only dictionary?!  Did I hear someone say "get a grant," or was
it "get a job"?  My first contribution is to point out that you often find
Kamloops Wawa defining newly introduced words in Jargon.  It makes really
interesting reading.  I think the usual wording involves "iaka ukuk," a
phrase that functions like "that is____".

--Dave R