Chinook robin

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 28 15:14:30 UTC 2006

Klahowya !

  I have "found" in Shaw's dictionary, English-Chinook part (this part I began only recently to study thoroughly) a Chinook Wawa bird name previously unknown to me:
  robin = pil koaten. I think this is in fact pil k'watin "red belly", a name very suitable for this bird (obviously in this case the American robin - Turdus migratorius, and not the European robin - Erithacus rubecula).
  I wonder where took Shaw this bird name from. He took it obviously from some other source, because it is not his style (Shaw-style would be pil yakwahtin).
  I wonder also if this expression was/is actually used in CW for that bird, or it is just another wordlist item.

  Francisc

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.