Jargon letter (Jeffcott 1945)

Scott Tyler s.tylermd at COMCAST.NET
Wed Jun 14 06:38:53 UTC 2006

Nice translation!
Scott
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Francisc Czobor
  To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 2:36 AM
  Subject: Re: Jargon letter (Jeffcott 1945)

  This is my attempt to translate it:

  To my good friend:

  If you want to know Chinook Wawa, I [will] write all I know now, I began to learn a little Chinook Wawa from a Native Chief when I first came to Nooksack in 1872, I [or he?] was in canoe, together with Jensen, and he helped me [to learn] Chinook Wawa. Jim said: what's your name? And I said: my name is Emmett. And he said: I give you a very nice name. I think [that] "Red Face" is a very nice name for you.

  Your good friend:

  "Red Face"

  David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> wrote:
    On page xv of Robert Emmett Hawley's book "Skqee Mus, or Pioneer Days on
    the Nooksack" (Bellingham, WA, 1945) is the following letter to the
    reader. I thought some of you might enjoy the reading practice.

    Copa nika klosh tillicum:

    Spose mika tickie kumtux chinook waw waw, nika tsum conoway nika kumtux
    alta, nika alip iskum tenas chinook waw waw copa siwash tyee alta nika alip
    charco copa Nootsaak copa 1872, mitlite copa canim, conomox Jinsen, pe yaka
    help copa nika chinook waw waw. Jim yake waw waw icta mica nim? pe nika
    waw waw nika nim Emmett. pe yaka waw waw, nika potlatch nika hias klosh
    nim. Nika tum tum Skqee mus yaka hias klosh nim copa mika.

    Mika klosh tillicum,

    Skqee Mus

    (Anyone want to try translating this into English? Beware, there's a
    misprint or two here. Skqee Mus means 'Red Face' in Nooksack Salish.)

    --Dave R

    To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!

  http://mail.yahoo.com To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!