lebine

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Sun Mar 5 07:43:25 UTC 2006

I came across a web page that seems to support a possible comparison for
"lebine" in the article mentioned, to "lepan" or bread. This comes from
the lil'wat: "In the old days the elders also made these soapberries
into loaves which were dried and kept to make Indian ice cream. Today we
have freezers so this is no longer done."

(http://www.globalclassroom.org/2004/barrett/barrett_icecream.html)

In older records, processed staple food preserved in cake or loaf form
was often described as a "bread" by english-speaking observers.

Of course, I'm only guessing--but I kind prefer "bread" to "beans" here
... ?