shanti man <=> Sunday man

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Mar 13 18:33:33 UTC 2006

One of the ranks or offices in the system that the Catholic Oblate
missionaries devised to control local government in the Native communities
they served was (in Chinook Jargon) "shanti man".

Literally that's the "song man".

This person was a prayer and hymn leader.

The Jargon term is probably a translation of "cantor" or French "chanteur".

That may be why Duane Thomson (1990) refers to these people as "chanters".

Fiske and Patrick (2000:151), though, call them "Sunday men" among the
Babines or Northern Carriers.  Jan van Eijk's Lillooet grammar also uses
this translation.

The shanti man's association with the church led people to reanalyze the
Jargon term in English.  This could only have happened in conditions where
Jargon was no longer widely used, and English was just coming into general
use in the community.

More reanalysis may have happened in Babine country.  Fiske and Patrick
seem to say that the "bell ringer" (< Chinook Jargon "tintin man") was the
same position and same person as the shanti man.

Only in an extreme situation would that be true, I suggest.  Existing lists
in CJ shorthand show that separate people were bell ringers, shanti man,
watchmen, etc.  But in a community where Native people were in many ways
resistant to the church, as we know Babines were, there might have been so
few volunteers that a single person might have had to fill two or more
positions.

I can't conclusively say this was the case.  But it's intriguing that in
the more southerly communities where Oblate influence was stronger and
arguably more welcomed (Shuswap territory in particular), these CJ words
lived on in local Salish languages and even English with their original
meanings still understood.

More data to test this idea might come from Chilcotin country, between the
Salish and the Babines.  Not that there's much linguistic information on
Chilcotin published, but UVic is currently the centre of significant
research on that language.  Maybe I'll be able to ask a speaker.

--Dave R