Fwd fom R Kentta re Nez Perce CJ recordings

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed May 10 14:34:47 UTC 2006

[I think this one didn't get through to the list on the first try.  --  DDR]

That's a good story to hear about. Morris was not the only Indian to own and
use wax cylinder recording equipment though.

Here at Siletz, Hoxie Simmons - half Galice Creek Athabaskan, and 1/4
Yamhill Kalapuya was recorded by Leo Frachtenberg, around 1914-16, and
numerous other linguists over the years: Jacobs, Swadesh, Harrington,
Hoijer, and others. It was probably after working with Frachtenberg that
Hoxie really gained an interest in the recording equipment, though he was
probably exposed to the process when Sapir was here in 1906 recording
Frances Johnson speaking Takelma language at Upper Farm on the Siletz River.
Sapir supposedly also recorded "Coquelle Hunter" here at that same time and
possibly others, but that collection has never been located.

I'm not sure when Hoxie acquired his cylinder recording machine, but I do
have 2 damaged cylinders that Hoxie recorded. One is supposed to be his son
Lester Simmons (Galice, Yamhill, Molalla, Wasco) and Joe Washington (Shasta)
singing gambling songs and the other is supposed to be the recording of a
speech made on Government Hill -  which is the old Siletz Agency and Siletz
Tribal Headquarters. I'm not sure who was supposed to have made the speech.
I'm not sure that either is playable, and keep meaning to contact the
Libaray of Congress about them. Have also considered working directly with
the Cutting Corporation or UofW or somebody else who may be able to advise
me on them. Somebody needs to develop a digital reader for wax cylinders and
aluminum discs so that blemishes won't send the needle skipping and they can
be digitally recorded and restored. The 2 cylinders I have are pock marked
for some reason, and I think a regular needle player would'nt be able to
follow the grooves. My uncle George Kentta also recorded Hoxie and Archie
Johnson (Shasta and Coquelle)on tape recorders in the 1960's. He would have
to put it out of sight to record Archie, othewise he would get proccupied or
nervous about being recorded, though he was recorded by Frachtenberg along
with Hoxie in the 1910's, and by other linguists over the years too. He was
a little self-conscious about his voice giving out too... He would say "he
used to be called Shantie Tyee, but now Kluxta iskum niga lacoo". I can't
remember if he used the word Kluxta in that phrase, so that word might be
wrong.

A thought also came to mind reading the story on the Nez Perce
recordings.... Archie Johnson went to Carlisle Indian School in Pennsylvania
in the 1890's. Corbett Lawyer, a Nez Perce was his classmate and I think
roommate. Archie told my uncle that he and Corbett were great friends and
would talk in Chinook Wawa (Jargon) a lot.